Child Custody and Fathers Rights

Parenting Time Schedules In The Best Interests Of Your Children

Parents’ rights and responsibilities can be confusing when one parent is withholding the children from the other parent or demanding child support before allowing visitation. Even when parents cannot agree to parenting styles, they must put their children’s best interests at the forefront of parenting time decisions.

The court favors shared parenting that allocates shared responsibilities of decision-making between parents. The shared parenting schedule must factor in who the child will reside with, where they will attend school and grant the nonresidential parent reasonable parenting time rights.

There is no substitute for having a strong advocate in your corner as you go through the process of developing a suitable parenting time schedule for your children. I am attorney Robert E. Adelman, and I have been helping parents develop schedules to nurture their children for more than two decades. I can help you understand the process and guide you in making informed decisions.

Determining The Best Interests Of Children

No one knows your children like you do, but the Ohio courts use several objective factors when determining the best interests of your children. Some of these factors include:

  • Your child’s overall emotional, mental and psychological development
  • Your child’s interaction with family members, including siblings and grandparents
  • Your child’s post-separation adjustment to home, community and school environment
  • A parent’s ability to be the primary parent
  • If the child has been subject to emotional, psychological, sexual or physical abuse

The court may also consider whether a parent wishes to move away from Ohio.

Are You Concerned About Your Rights As A Father? Call Me Today.

Fathers have parenting rights and responsibilities, but concise information about those rights is often muddled with misinformation. Do not let well-meaning friends or the mother of your children be your guide. If you were never married to the mother of your children, establishing paternity could be the next step for you. Send me an email or call at (440) 589-6900 for a free consultation with an experienced attorney who will provide the information and advocacy you can count on.